Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The 3 Bird Orgy, Part III [I still get to buy a new dress]

210. Kafka-esque or Soft and Crispy Duck (Cooking in Advance)

As I mentioned in Part I of The 3 Bird Orgy, this duck can be made in advance except for a 30-minute blast in the oven, and is thus perfect for entertaining. By poaching it before cooking it at high heat, you keep the duck both soft on the inside, and crisp on the outside, I'm told.

You start by poaching the duck in a deep frying pan in boiling salted water for about 45 minutes, then remove it from the water, let it cool, and refrigerate it for a couple of days until you want to cook it. Easy. I did the poaching on Sunday night, and it was a lot less hassle than it looks on the page.


water


duck


lid


boiled

I was afraid the duck might catch and burn on the pan, as Nigella warned it might, but it didn't. I did use a heat diffuser, which might have protected it slightly.

Anyway, once that is done, you can put it in the fridge and just wait for the night of your dinner to roll around...

No comments: